Badass Box - Contactless E-Bike Tuning
The Badass Box is a popular and long-proven tuning tool for e-bikes from various manufacturers - e.g. for models from Bosch, Yamaha, Brose, Impulse, Shimano or Bafang. The Badass Box removes the 25 km/h speed limit of your e-bike. A big advantage of this tuning tool is that the box can be attached or removed in seconds - once the box is removed, the e-bike has its original driving characteristics back and can be used again - legally - on public roads.
The Badass Box in the 4th generation
The Badass Box is continuously improved and optimised. The current latest version is the "Badass Box 4", which of course continues to reliably cancel the speed limit, but has a whole range of advantages over the previous versions.
The tuning tool is now more stable and thus less sensitive to vibrations and impacts than ever before. The electronics are specially encapsulated and the battery compartment is now splash-proof, so that even extreme outdoor use on damp or muddy ground is no longer a problem. The firmware has been adapted even better to the respective motors of the different manufacturers. Thanks to a new, slimmer housing and a patented snap lock, the box can now be put on or taken off much faster. In addition, the previous CR2 battery has been replaced by a more powerful AAA battery, which is not only cheaper and easier to obtain, but also increases the range to over 7,000 km.
Once the Badass Box is fitted, it causes the transmitted speed to be divided by 2 from a speed of about 19 km/h, doubling the maximum motor support to 50 km/h - but this also means that the display then only shows half the actual speed (i.e. if the display shows 20 km/h, for example, you are actually travelling 40 km/h, etc.). By the way, the microprocessor of the Badass Box switches on and off fully automatically.
The Badass Box is a real quality product Made in Germany - each unit is tested several times during production. The box is only genuine with the embedded seal and serial number on the housing.
Badass Box Installation
The Badass Box is extremely easy to install and can be removed again in no time at all. Here is an example of the classic Badass Box (depending on the e-bike and Badass Box type, there may be differences):
- Attach the Badass Box over the speed sensor of your e-bike.
- Secure the Badass Box to the sensor with an O-ring (no longer necessary with the Badass Box 4, as it has a patented quick-release fastener).
- When using the Badass Box for the first time, you must replace the Phillips screw on the magnet with the enclosed lobe screw. This has the advantage that you will no longer need any tools to move the magnet in the future!
- Move the magnet on the bicycle spoke: open the screw - move the magnet - close the screw.
- That's it - your e-bike is now tuned and ready to go!
Badass Box Removal
- Loosen the O-ring (no longer necessary with the Badass Box 4).
- Simply pull off the Badass Box.
- Move the magnet to its original position.
- That's it - the tuning is undone and your e-bike has its original riding characteristics back!
Correct positioning of the magnet
After the Badassebikes Chiptuning Box has been attached to the speed sensor of your e-bike and secured, all that remains is to move the magnet on the bicycle spoke. For many users, this raises the question of where exactly the magnet should be positioned. Unfortunately, this question cannot be answered unequivocally, as there can be significant differences depending on the e-bike model (especially the distances can vary greatly).
If you have problems with the correct magnet placement, we recommend the following procedure:
- Place the Badassebikes Chiptuning Box on the speed sensor of your pedelec and secure the box with the O-ring (no longer necessary with Badass Box 4, as it has a patented snap lock).
- Move the magnet on the spoke about 2 cm behind the box, towards the centre of the wheel. If possible, make sure to turn the magnet with the face up or down.
- Now turn the wheel at least 5 times and see if the display shows a speed. Turn the wheel at least 5 times - only then does the box really have enough opportunity to wake up from a possible standby mode.
- If - contrary to expectations - the display does not show a speed indication, move the magnet 2 mm closer to the box.
- If the display shows a speed indicator, you can move the magnet another 1 mm towards the box.
- Now the magnet is in the correct position.
If you follow the above procedure exactly, you should not have any problems with the magnet positioning during the installation of the Badass Box. We hope that our tips were helpful and wish you a lot of fun with your tuned e-bike - please drive carefully!
Badass Box variants
Attention: Please note that we cannot ship Li-Ion batteries abroad due to transport regulations. The Badass Box with batteries will only be shipped within Germany. For foreign countries these batteries will be removed.